Whether you want some Hawaii fun facts to use for a project or you want to impress people with your knowledge of the Aloha State, we’ve put together some facts about Hawaii that cover everything from weird laws to natural wonder to strange history.
Hawaii, one of the smaller US states, has plenty of history, gorgeous waterfalls, and beautiful small towns in Hawaii, and these interesting facts about Hawaii are a real tribute to all of the fun Hawaii facts to be found (we could have kept going, but kept it to the 51 best ones!).
Keep reading for weird facts about Hawaii, amazing facts about Hawaii, cool facts about Hawaii, and plenty of fun Hawaii facts to keep you guessing (or help you put together an awesome Hawaii trivia quiz!)
Hey! Before we dive in, check out more fabulous Hawaii content here!
- 10+ Enchanting Things to Do in Oahu, Hawaii
- 45 Best Hawaii Instagram Captions for the Perfect Post
- 25+ Songs about Hawaii to Inspire Your Wanderlust
Hawaii Fun Facts
1. No building on Kauai can be taller than a palm tree by law
2. All Hawaiian beaches are public.
3. Molokai doesn’t have any traffic lights.
4. Hawaiian is known to produce some of the best coffee and there are farms growing coffee in Kauai, Maui, and Honolulu.
5. Kilauea volcano on Big Island is the world’s most active volcano.
6. Hawaii is the only state in the US with its own time zone.
7. Mount Waialeale is one of the wettest places on Earth.
8. The only snake that can be found in Hawaii is the tiny Hawaiian blind snake.
9. While there are lots of animals in Hawaii, there are only two mammals that are native to the Hawaiian islands: the hoary bat and the monk seal.
10. The Hawaiian islands were created by undersea volcanoes that erupted thousands of years ago
Interesting Facts about Hawaii
11. In 2015, the Aloha state became the first state in the US to ban plastic bags.
12. Mauna Kea is the tallest mountain in the world.
13. King Kamehameha united the Hawaiian islands in 1810.
14. Surfing and outrigger canoe paddling are the official state sports.
15. The Yellow Hibiscus is the Hawaiian state flower.
16. Hawaii is made up of 132 different islands.
17. There are only 12 letters in the Hawaiian alphabet.
18. Hawaii is the second widest state in the U.S.
19. Hawaii became the 50th State on August 20th, 1959.
20. Hawaiian Monarchy was illegally overthrown by the United States.
Weird Facts about Hawaii
21. Iolani Palace is the only royal palace in the United States.
22. Hawaii produces only 2% of the world’s pineapple supply.
23. The Big Island grows about 42 acres each year.
24. Only 7,400 people live on Molokai.
25. Macadamia nuts aren’t from Hawaii, they’re actually from Australia.
26. It’s illegal to gamble in Hawaii.
27. Hawaii was the first state to ban billboards.
28. Hula was originally only performed by men.
29. The Dole Plantation is home to the world’s largest pineapple maze.
30. You can mail a coconut from Hawaii.
Random Facts about Hawaii
31. It’s considered rude to refuse to wear a lei flower if you’re offered one.
32. Only people with Hawaiian ancestry are considered to be Hawaiians.
33. Hawaiian natives are descendants of Polynesian voyagers.
34. The Hula was originally a form of worship performed by highly trained men.
35. Aloha means both hello and goodbye.
36. Haleakala Crater is the world’s largest dormant volcano.
37. The first Asian American in the United States Senate was from Hawaii, Hiram Fong.
38. Each year on June 11, Hawaii celebrates King Kamehameha Day.
39. It’s a local custom to always remove shoes before entering someone’s home.
40. The Hawaii state fish is the Humuhumunukunukuāpuaʻa.
Amazing Facts about Hawaii
41. Hawaii is the only state that is not geographically located in the US.
42. Hawaii has the longest life expectancy in all of the US.
43. Hawaii got the nickname of the “Aloha State” when it became a state in 1959.
44. Niihau is home to Hawaii’s largest lake.
45. Hawaiians invented surfing hundreds of years ago.
46. Oahu has the world’s largest wind generator.
47. Since the weather is warm year-round, Hawaiians wear the same wardrobe for all seasons.
48. Maui is home to a Frank Lloyd Wright design.
49. Hawaiians hug hello, goodbye, to say “I love you”, “I’m sorry”, “Nice to meet you”, “Thank you.”
50. Hawaii doesn’t have smog, but they do get vog, which is a volcanic haze from the Kilauea volcano.
51. When someone has a tree that produces “too much” fruit, they take some to work, drop some off for neighbors, or give it away to others who will enjoy it.
Hey! Want more fun facts about the states? Check these out!
- 51 Fun Facts about Alaska (that most people don’t know!)
- 19 Fun Facts about Arkansas
- 19 Fun Facts about California
- 19 Fun Facts about Colorado
- 51 Amazing Facts about Connecticut
- 51 Interesting Facts about Delaware
- 19 Fun Facts about Florida You Won’t Believe
- 29 Fun Facts about Georgia Most People Don’t Know!
- 51 Fun Facts about Idaho
- 51 Unique Fun Facts about Illinois
- 51 Incredible Facts about Indiana
- 51 Amazing Fun Facts about Iowa
- 51 Fun Facts about Kansas
- 51 Cool Facts about Kentucky
- 51 Awesome Fun Facts about Louisiana
- 21 Fun Facts about Maine
- 51 Cool Facts about Maryland
- 51 Incredible Fun Facts about Massachusetts
- 19 Michigan Fun Facts
- 51 Amazing Facts about Minnesota
- 51 Fun Facts about Mississippi
- 51 Awesome Facts about Missouri
- 51 Interesting Fun Facts about Montana
- 51 Cool Facts about Nebraska (unique!)
- 51 Unique Facts about Nevada
- 51 Amazing Fun Facts about New Hampshire
- 51 Incredible Fun Facts about New Mexico
- 39 Fun Facts about New York
- 19 Fun Facts about North Carolina
- 21 Fun Facts about Ohio
- 21 Interesting Facts about Oregon
- 49 Fun Facts about Pennsylvania
- 21 Fun Facts about Rhode Island (unique!)
- 21 Fun Facts about Utah
- 19 Interesting Facts about Washington State
- 51 Cool Facts about Wyoming
- 51 Cool Facts about Wisconsin
- 51 Cool Facts about West Virginia
- 51 Cool Facts about Virginia
- 51 Cool Facts about Vermont
- 51 Cool Facts about Tennessee
- 51 Cool Facts about South Dakota
- 51 Cool Facts about South Carolina
- 51 Cool Facts about Oklahoma
- 51 Cool Facts about North Dakota
Pin for Later!
Get the All-American Travel Secrets!
Don't miss out on America's hidden gems!