Whether you’re a local wanting a romantic date night or a Disney visitor wanting to experience the fireworks in a new way, this guide is going to help you figure out where to watch fireworks outside the parks at Disney World for free.
There are places that you can watch the fireworks outside of the Disney parks by paying for a dining or private boat ride experience, but this isn’t always conducive to your budget or to getting a quick glimpse of the fireworks and then being on your way.
Want insider Disney tips from an expert?
Join 4,000 others in weekly guides to Disney’s hidden secrets, gems, and money-saving tips!
Pssst – this printable Disney scavenger hunt is amazing
Since you’re already looking up Disney guides, I just wanted to make sure you knew about this printable Disney World scavenger hunt created by a lifelong Orlando native and Disney World fan.
There are over 60 challenges with a full answer key and both Family and Grown Up versions and a bonus Disney Springs hunt for your non-park day!
Please, please do note that all of Disney’s fireworks shows are meant to be enjoyed inside the parks for maximum entertainment (obviously), so while some of these viewing spots are better than others, you’re still not going to get the FULL effect at any of them.
If you’re okay with that, let’s get started!
Where can you watch Disney World fireworks for free?
Don’t forget your fireworks-themed Disney shirts to put on for your fireworks-hopping evening!
Where to Watch Magic Kingdom Fireworks for Free
The Magic Kingdom‘s nightly fireworks show, Happily Ever After, replaced the old fireworks show called Wishes in 2017.
While this show does rely more on projections than Wishes did, Happily Ever After still has plenty of fireworks to be enjoyed that take place over Cinderella’s Castle.
1. 4th Floor at the Contemporary
One of the prime viewing spots is the fourth floor of the Contempory Resort.
There’s a free observation deck that can be used by both resort guests and non-resort guests.
You can also access a couple exterior stairwells from the deck that are also good viewing points a bit higher up.
One thing to keep in mind with this option is that it is sometimes used as a private event space, so it’s worth seeing if you can check ahead if it will be open rather than making the journey and then being out of luck.
2. Boat from Wilderness Lodge
Watching the Magic Kingdom fireworks from the Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness boat is seriously one of my favorite ways to see them even if I had the choice to see them from within the park.
You can read more about watching the fireworks from the boat to the Magic Kingdom from Wilderness Lodge in my post about it, but the long and short is that you simply head to the Wilderness Lodge dock a bit before showtime, and then get on the next free boat that is ferrying people over to the Magic Kingdom right before the fireworks start.
You’ll get an incredible view of the fireworks from the water, the same view that paying private cruise guests get, and you can simply stay on the boat as it takes you back to the Wilderness Lodge.
You don’t need to be a guest at the Wilderness Lodge to take advantage of the free water transportation.
3. Polynesian Beach
Watching the Magic Kingdom fireworks from the Polynesian Beach has been a classic way to watch Disney fireworks for free since the opening of the resort.
Not only is the Polynesian a beautiful resort that deserves to be explored in its own right, but the beach also has a dead on view of the fireworks show AND they often pipe in the music.
This is one of the most relaxing ways to watch the Magic Kingdom fireworks for free outside of the park, as you can sip on a drink or bring some snacks and chill out in the sand.
I have seen this closed off to non-resort guests during popular times of the year, such as the New Year’s Eve fireworks, so do check on this one in advance.
4. Marina at Grand Floridian
Whether you’re staying at the Grand Floridian or just want somewhere to watch the Fireworks at Disney World outside the parks for free, head to the Marina there for a nice view of the show.
If you’re visiting the Grand Floridian during the holidays, you can make a whole evening of the festive things to do at the Grand Floridian.
5. Ferry Dock at the Transportation and Ticket Center
One of the biggest dilemmas with families is deciding whether or not to stay inside the park to watch the Magic Kingdom fireworks, as everyone dreads heading out in huge crowds.
One top tip to avoid this is to leave the park just a bit before the fireworks start, then watch them from the ferry dock at the Transportation and Ticket Center.
Not only will you get to experience at least some of the fireworks, but you’ll already be at the Transportation and Ticket Center in front of everyone else so you’ll get to your car first.
And that – is priceless.
Where to Watch Epcot Fireworks for Free
Epcot‘s Illuminations was both a fireworks and a projection and light display on a rotating globe in the center of the World Showcase Lagoon, though currently Epcot has a temporary show called “Epcot Forever.”
Many of the effects are lower to the ground and only viewable from around the World Showcase.
However, it is possible to catch a glimpse of some of the higher fireworks from outside the parks, so here’s a rundown of where to head to watch the Epcot fireworks for free.
6. Disney’s Boardwalk
Not only is the Boardwalk area good for nighttime entertainment at Jelly Rolls or eating an ice cream while strolling by the water, but it’s also a place where you can see some of the Epcot fireworks.
Get some take out ice cream from Beaches and Cream at the Beach Club, and then head over to the Boardawalk for showtime.
7. Bridge between Boardwalk and Swan and Dolphin
One of the best places to see the Epcot firework’s show outside of the parks is by standing on the bridge between the Boardwalk and the Swan and Dolphin hotel.
This has a better view than most of the places on the Boardwalk, and while a little out of the way for people not staying at either resort, you can combine it with a trip to the Boardwalk and wallah – evening sorted!
8. Caribbean Beach Resort
This isn’t one to make a special trip for, but if you’re staying at Caribbean Beach Resort, you can see the taller Epcot fireworks from some of the beaches and quiet pools.
Ask at reception when you arrive the best place for viewing, and just know that you’ll get a glimpse or two – not the whole spectacle.
9. Yacht Club Lighthouse
Past Disney goers who have stayed at the Yacht Club say that you can see them when standing near the Yacht Club Lighthouse.
This is a more convenient location for people staying at the Yacht or Beach Club, and you can tie it in with dinner at Ale & Compass at the Yacht Club or Cape May Café at the Beach Club.
Where to Watch Hollywood Studios Fireworks for Free
Hollywood Studios Fireworks vary depending on the time of year, but currently they’re running Star Wars themed fireworks that can be seen for free from a few places outside the park.
10. Beach Club and Yacht Club Beach
Head to the beach at the Beach/Yacht Club for a view of some of the bigger Hollywood Studios fireworks.
I wouldn’t make a special trip anywhere to see the Hollywood Studios fireworks, to be honest, but if you’re already in the area or considering a night spent exploring either of these beautiful resorts, it’s worth knowing about.
11. Bridge between Boardwalk and Swan and Dolphin
Another option to watch the Hollywood Studios fireworks is the same place you can see parts of Illumination from – the bridge between the Boardwalk and the Swan and Dolphin.
Where is your favorite place outside of the parks to watch Disney fireworks for free?
Hey! Want more of our expert Disney guides? Check these out!
- 49 Fantastic Ways to Save Money on a Disney Vacation
- 5 Best Disney Moderate Resorts (and where not to stay)
- Best Disney Value Resorts (and where not to stay)
- 13 Best Rides for Infants and Babies in the Magic Kingdom
- 27 Adorable Magic Kingdom Shirts for Fans
- 9 of the Best Rides for Tweens and Teens at Magic Kingdom
- 23 Adorable Epcot Shirts for Disney Fans
- 23 Fantastic Animal Kingdom Shirts for Disney Fans
- 25 Best Hollywood Studios Shirts for Disney Fans
- Ultimate Guide to Christmas at Disney World
- Which Disney All-Star Resort is Best?
- 21 Best Disney Resorts, Ranked
- Exactly What to Wear to Disney World
- How to Avoid Lines at Disney World
- Exactly How to Avoid Parking Fees at Disney World
- Renting DVC Points: How to Save Hundreds at Disney
- Going to Disney World Alone: the Ultimate Guide
- Fun Tips for Celebrating a Birthday at Disney World
- Perfect Disney World 7 Day Itinerary
- Staying Cool at Disney World: Insider Secrets
- Best Time to Visit Disney World: the Truth
- Best Age for Disney World: the honest, specific truth
- Traveling to Disney World with a non-Disney fan
- Toy Story Land at Disney’s Hollywood Studio: the Ultimate Guide
- Honest + Complete Guide to Disney’s Skyliner
- How to Go to Disney World with Anxiety (and still have fun)
- 11+ Disastrous Disney World Mistakes to Avoid
- 17 Signs You Go to Disney World too Often
- Ultimate Guide to Disney World’s Galaxy’s Edge
- How to Get Upgraded at Disney World
- The Ultimate Disney Resort-Hopping Challenge
- 21 Cute Disney Family Matching Shirts
- 23 Best Disney World Shirts to Wear to the Parks
- 23 Magical Disney Couple Shirts
- 11 Best Pools at Disney World
- 26 Best Magic Kingdom Rides
- 11 Best Hollywood Studios Rides
- 10 Best Epcot Rides
- 8 Best Animal Kingdom Rides
- 21 Best Disney World Instagram Spots
- Secret Things to Do at Disney World
- Don’t Miss Things to Do at Hollywood Studios
- Best Things to Do in Disney World
- Adventurous Things to Do at Animal Kingdom
- Iconic Things to Do at Epcot
- Enchanting Things to Do at Magic Kingdom
- Ideas for the Perfect Disney World Honeymoon
- What to Pack for Disney World
- Best Disney Deluxe Resorts
- Brilliant Ways to Get Hard to Get Disney Dining Reservations
- Best Disney Resorts for Couples
- Best Places to Propose at Disney World
- Best Rides at Magic Kingdom for Adults
- Best Rides at Epcot for Adults
- Disney World for Adults: the Ultimate Guide
- Best Disney Resorts for Kids
- Best Disney Resorts for Toddlers
- Romantic Disney World Date Ideas
- Magical Things to Do at Disney Springs
- Best Disney Resorts for a Honeymoon
- Free Things to Do at Disney World
Get the All-American Travel Secrets!
Don't miss out on America's hidden gems!